Monday, December 2, 2013

X is for...









is for... XEROPHYTA VISCOSA



I was listening to the Katy Perry song “Roar” and thought about how humans relate themselves to creatures of the wild, mythical creatures or creatures of strength and power. Creatures of knowledge or endurance or better yet, creatures that can withstand the storm and not only come out on top but seem to be reborn or rejuvenated.
Take my best friend for example. She sees herself as a Phoenix. She feels that she is like the Phoenix, the mythical bird that is cyclically regenerated or reborn. A phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. She feels this so much so that she has a tattoo of a Phoenix on her back. 
I agree with her. She has gone through a lot in her life and has risen from the ashes to create a beautiful life for herself, her husband and her new daughter. Because of her parents’ divorce, she questioned whether she would ever marry. Then she suffered the loss of two very close grandparents and still remained strong and resilient.
She has risen from the ashes so many times I admire her.

I myself, I see myself as being like the plant XEROPHYTA VISCOSA.
If you have never heard of this plant I will describe it for you.
This rare and fascinating plant, which is found in high African locations, has blackened, dead-looking stems in the winter months but is totally transformed in the early summer when it is covered with masses of pink or purple flowers.
It withstands drought, fires, and freezing cold temperatures.
However, what I like most about this plant is its incredible ability to survive remarkably long periods without water, and when it finally rains the plant re-hydrates completely after appearing to be dead.
Most people assume that I am weak because I am sensitive and wear my emotions on my sleeve. They assume because I cry freely when I am hurt or when I am grieving that it means I cannot deal or handle the situation.
What they don’t understand is that I can sustain just about anything. Being broke, sick, no sleep, no help, still does not stop me from accomplishing the things that I need to do to keep my family running smoothly.
I can sustain longs periods without crying, staying strong and holding myself together.
I deal with clinical depression, the loss of 5 close family members in 3 ½ years. My two year old has random seizures when her temperature suddenly changes whether it be 1 degree or 3. My dad was recently diagnosed with Prostate cancer.
There are times that I may hide out and cut myself off from the world where I may appear to be lost in darkness. There are times when I may appear to be dead or so far gone that I might not recover.
But then it rains.
I finally just let myself cry freely and openly letting all the pain and hurt go.
And then I completely re-hydrate  coming back to life, ready to take this life by the horns. I blossom with beautiful flowers ready to conquer my fears.

I am like XEROPHYTA VISCOSA.

4 comments:

  1. "But then it rains.
    I finally just let myself cry freely and openly letting all the pain and hurt go.
    And then I completely re-hydrate coming back to life, ready to take this life by the horns. I blossom with beautiful flowers ready to conquer my fears.

    I am like XEROPHYTA VISCOSA."

    Sometimes we all need a moment to let it all go in order to put everything back together. I loved reading this post, and I especially loved this part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post about stamina and continuing on in spite of life's difficulties. I love the story of XEROPHYTA VISCOSA and how you relate yourself and your life's challenges to this beautiful flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let it rain, darling, let it rain. What a lovely post--thank you.

    ReplyDelete